Monday, August 24, 2015

Lisa Noonis' TIDAL at the Banks Gallery

Painter Lisa Noonis, who's a friend of mine, has hit it out of the park with a new series of beach-based paintings being exhibited in a show opening this Thursday (August 27, 2015) at Portsmouth's Banks Gallery.


The paintings (in oil) are large, semi-abstract evocations of the oceanside - sometimes overcast, sometimes that summer saltwater ritual close to my own Long Island-born heart, the proverbial "beach day." But they are never conventional or cliche.


I've admired Lisa's work for as long as I've been painting. Her work has tons of vitality, and it's very evocative for me - I connect right to it (she consciously paints in an "open" way, suggesting rather than declaring or describing with unnecessary detail, an approach that invites the viewer to complete the picture). Her work is wonderfully painterly - she revels in the material, the textures and colors of paint. She often constructs volumes in her paintings with color changes rather than shading, applying lush brushstrokes in patches, somewhat in the manner of Cezanne




Lisa and I found ourselves in a master class with Eric Aho some time ago, and since then we've been toying with a similar landscape painting process. The idea is to mount a "campaign" on a particular place (in Lisa's case, it's the beach), the first stage of which is to paint in front of the motif every day, en plein air. 




The second stage is to again paint the motif in the studio, but this time from memory, on a much larger scale, and with the goal not of painting what it looked like but what it felt like; that is, to paint imaginative equivalents, rather than pictures of, nature. This approach has the advantage of comprehending the innovations of modernism and abstraction. 


I wrote the essay for the catalogue that accompanies Lisa's show. I love these beach paintings -- I think they're Lisa's best work to date and my favorite of the many paintings of hers that I've enjoyed (I'm happy to say I own three small originals). 

The show's up through September, 2015, and the essay text that I wrote is online here, at The Banks Gallery blog







15 comments:

  1. I also was in an Eric Aho master class with Lisa. It was the first time I had seen her work and loved it. The Banks Gallery is a perfect venue for her paintings. While I may not be able to attend the opening, I will be able to see it sometime in September.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually I was wrong Carmela. Opening is Thursday not Friday.

      Delete
  2. Gorgeous paintings. I love what you wrote about them too. I'm going to try to see this show.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I appreciate your thoughtful comments Chris. I also admire both Lisa's and your own approach to painting. Most of my work is done plein air, then (in winter when studio-bound) I do larger versions of places I have mined over and over. I am still moving more towards loosening up, more towards abstracting. Very interesting to hear your process.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, these are fabulous! So fresh and loose and yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. البيت السعودى نقل اثاث ونقل عفش جميع مدن السعودية ( جدة , الرياض ,المدينة ,مكة)

    خدمة 24 ساعه وخصم 30% 0566974662

    وفك وتركيب وتغليف الأثاث وخدمات التنظيف بخامات ألمانية من الممكن تقديم كل خدمة منفردة حتى خامات التغليف والتنظيف نرسلها للعميل مع مندوبنا إيمانا منا إن بعض العملاء يرغبون في تغليف وتنظيف الأثاث بأنفسهم والبعض الأخر يرغب تقديم كل خدمات شركتنا بمعنى الخدمة الشاملة

    شركات نقل

    نقل اثاث

    شركة نقل اثاث

    شركات نقل اثاث

    شركات نقل الاثاث

    نقل عفش

    شركة نقل عفش

    شركات نقل عفش

    شركات نقل العفش

    نقل موبيليا

    شركة نقل موبيليا

    شركات نقل موبيليا

    شركات نقل الموبيليا

    نقل موبليا

    شركة نقل موبليا

    شركات نقل موبليا

    شركات نقل الموبليا

    نقل وتغليف اثاث

    نقل وتغليف الاثاث

    شركة نقل وتغليف اثاث

    شركة نقل مستلزمات فنادق

    شركة نقل جميع الأغراض

    http://easysaudi.com

    http://easysaudi.com/category/%d9%86%d9%82%d9%84-%d8%a7%d8%ab%d8%a7%d8%ab-%d9%86%d9%82%d9%84-%d8%b9%d9%81%d8%b4/

    https://sites.google.com/view/furniture-movers

    https://saudi-furniture-movers.blogspot.com/

    http://saudi-furniture-movers.blogspot.com/2017/01/0562623916_65.html

    مكتب شغالات وخادمات سيفتى مايد نوفر لكم افضل مكتب شغالات"شغالات,خادمات,خدم,مربية اطفال,جليسه مسنين"


    http://safetymaid.com

    ReplyDelete